These are unedited transcripts and may contain errors.

NRO/RIR reports, Friday, 20 April, 2012, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.:

NICK HYRKA: Good morning everyone. Thank you for getting up, thank you. Finding any strange tattoos anywhere? Before we begin this session, the NRO/RIR report session, I have one quick announcement: There is going elections for the RIPE Programme Committee seat, one seat has become available and the programme committee is asking you to vote, so if you go to the RIPE 64 website, you will be able to see the candidates. There will be ballots here, I am told that they will be placed here on the stage shortly, and then once they are here, you can fill them out and there are boxes in the back of the room and you can deposit your ballot.

I guess we are ready to go. First up, we have got a report, the AfriNIC update from Ernest Byaruhanga, he is a policy manager at AfriNIC, and he just goes. You are on, earnest.

ERNEST BYARUHANGA: Thank you very much, Nick. I hope everybody can hear me, I would like to apologise, I am in a public area so there is quite some background noise, but I will try to keep the presentation short. So, good morning, everyone. My name is Ernest, I am the policy manager at AfriNIC. I will share with you briefly our activities in the last year and our current activities to date, in the next few minutes.

AfriNIC, just a brief introduction to AfriNIC for those of you that do not know AfriNIC. We are the registry serving Africa. We operate as a non?governmental and not for profit organisation, just like RIPE NCC we, the RIR for Africa and those countries in the Indian Ocean that are part of after I can't. Our main mission is to serve the African community by providing efficient management of resources, supporting Internet usage technology and development, to Internet, so this is our mission as stated verbatim on our website.

I will quickly share with you highlights from our Internet number resource unit, look at IPv4 address inventory of the first quarter of 2012 and take you through the distribution of our main number resources, a quick look at the policies that have been recently, some activity in our region, projects and our next AfriNIC meeting.

A brief highlight of what we have been doing as far as number resource distribution is concerned, over there on the table you can see an overview of how much addresses we have issued from 2008 to 2012, and you can see that on the IPv4 side, we issued around 1.6 million IP addresses in 2008 and the number has been steadily increasing and growing, up to about 2011 when we issued close to 9 million IP addresses. The trend has not been quite the same in 2012, at the end of the first quarter 260,000 IP addresses, perhaps get more demand there but so far, what ?? in 2012 was not as much as we had issued and at the same time in the previous years.

IANA allocations, that is the trend of the allocations we have received from IANA. V6, that is also quite a good increase in trend for IPv6 allocations. Countries with IPv6 footprint, that is the number of countries where we have issued at least an IPv6 allocation, that has also been increasing and right now out of the 54 countries in the content we have issued IPv6 to at least 43 which is way more than three quarters of the continent. That does not apply countries that have IPv6 visibility but at least as far as allocation of v6 addresses is concerned we have covered more than half of the continent which is a good thing.

Equally, as numbers ?? that is the trend and membership, we also have been seeing a steady increase in membership, numbers of course not as big compared to the other registries but nevertheless it's an increase in trend.

Our IPv4 inventory looks like that, and we have just a little over four /8s in total left in our inventory.

That is the regional distribution of IPv4 addresses, v6 addresses and our membership. As you can see, the South Africa is pretty much the strongest economy in the region and it shares close to half of the IPv4 address pie, followed by Egypt, Morrocco, Tunisia and Algeria, as far as IPv6 address space is concerned you have about half of it in South Africa and close to the other half in north Africa and the other regions in Africa probably share about 25 percent of the total v4 address space.

V6, we have South Africa also about a third. Economies sharing it roughly evenly. And as far as membership is concerned, we have also close to half of our membership from South Africa and the other countries as indicated so in total we have about 870 members in good standing, and about 355 organisations holding legacy space is that we also acquired from the other registries at the time of the transition.

On the policy side, the ?? we recently actually implemented this policy, contact information and AfriNic quiz database, this is a policy that requires LIRs to actually indicate information that should be used in case anybody wants to contact them for network abuse purposes, originating from the IP addresses so this policy, although it's pending implementation here, actually it's pretty much implemented and we shall be informing our community in the next few days about its implementation.

The IPv4 soft landing proposal which defiance how AfriNIC shall manage the last bits of our IPv4 address inventory has been notified, and of course the global policy for the post exhaustion by the Internet assigned numbers authority that has been ratified as a global policy.

We have some ongoing projects, on the training side. We have the training dot, you get it for training activities, we have launched the African IPv6 task force, that was launched on 21st of March 2012. Then we had an IPv6 Webb in a that was organised by AfriNIC ISOC and orange on 21 March. We had many participants and we are organising another one on the 23rd of April, just because this first one was very successful.

We shall be soon conducting a survey our members and the quest to improve our services to them. That is coming. We are currently doing a project to ensure integrity of our Whois data as most of you are aware most of our data at the time that we started registered version we had data that came from three registries, APNIC, ARIN and RIPE NCC and quite a lot of inconsistencies there that we are trying to actively resolve and this is a project that is ongoing, it has been quite demanding, but very soon we shall be sure that the data on our side is as accurate as it should be. Contact information policy that has been implemented.

You are all welcome to our next after AfrNic meeting in the Gambia, that is from the 12th to 18th of May, just next month. Please register and attend the meeting. We look forward to seeing everybody there. And that is it from me, and I will be happy to take any questions if there is. Thank you very much.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Ernest. Any questions for Ernest? All right. Thank you for your patience in the connection. Thank you.

ERNEST BYARUHANGA: Thank you very much.

NICK HYRKA: I see my name on the screen, I didn't introduce myself, I am the communications manager at the RIPE NCC. Moving on. Next up we have from ARIN, Leslie Nobile, she is the director of registration services. Leslie, the podium is yours.

LESLIE NOBILE: Good morning everyone, I have a short, very short update from ARIN. So our 2012 focus, these are some of our high level projects and things we are working on. Obviously like all the RIRs we are working on IPv4 depletion and IPv6 uptake, developing new processes enhancing proceed use, etc. We have been working quite a bit on IPv4 depletion plan and I will be presenting that next week at the ARIN meeting. It's sort of a high level point picture of what we are going to be doing and going to be phasing in different parts of the plan.

And we also are continuing our IPv6 outreach, we are speaking and peering at all kinds of venues and conferences and what have you.

We are still working on the development of our web?based system, called ARIN on?line and taken many, many years to fully integrate because we had 3 separate systems integrating into one. We are working on our PKI deployment and we continue our participation in the Internet governs forums. Our inventory report, I checked yesterday and we had 4.95 /8s in our available inventory, it doesn't include the space that we quarantine, we hold space that gets returned or reclaimed by ARIN for six months to clear filters so we have got about five /8s in there and we also have a /10 that we have reserved under a new policy for transition to IPv6 and it CIX in at the last /8 so that is being held back as well.

Just a picture of last year to see what happened when the IANA announcement of the v4 depletion came. We had people coming in and getting lots of space and then it just trickled down to nothing. We had a couple of bumps when some large ISPs came in but other than that it's ban very slow year and 2012 continues to be pretty slow. We think we have issued about .44 of a /8 in the first three months of the year.

Sort of the same thing happened in v6, everybody got interested around IANA depletion time and came in and got their v6 allocations and assignments, and then it's just trickled down, we are not seeing this huge amount of activity. It's steady but there is not a lot going on.

We looked at how many our ISP members had both v4 and v6, and out of almost 4,000 of them, 64% have v4 only and 36% have v4 and v6. And that number we have been tracking it for about a year?and?a?half like this, and the number hasn't really kicked up very much; it's remained in the 31 percent to 36%. So it's slowly getting there.

Lots of new policies implemented, I am not going to go into any of them. Emilio did that, the three we have implemented all have to do with transfers, there is a lot of discussion about that in the ARIN region.

We have got six draft policies that will be discussed next week at the ARIN meeting, again lots to do with transfers and Inter?RIR transfers, compliance, transfers again, subsequent allocation one is making it much easier, I think ARIN mentioned it the other day to get in a subsequent allocation. ASN transfers being added to the 8.3 specified recipient transfer and going back to there is talk about going back to issuing a 12 month supply of addresses, as opposed to the 3 months' supply we are doing right now which is what RIPE does.

Public facing development, ARIN on?line I mentioned. We are working on the building ?? we implement add who was service, subjected to a terms of service, nice long terms of service but it's been actively used, quite a few people are getting who was right now and RPKI we have we have had some issues with that, one thing after another, but the plan is to have hosted completed by the end of 2012 and delegated to be done sue thereafter.

Lots of outreach events as I mentioned. And two upcoming a meetings, one in Vancouver which I am leaving for tomorrow and the next one is in Dallas in April. So everyone is welcome. Any questions? Thank you for your time.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Leslie.

Next up from APNIC is Paul Wilson.

PAUL WILSON: Good morning, everyone. So this is the update from APNIC. Thanks to the programme committee for giving us the challenge of bringing everyone back to the meeting this morning. And to those of you who are here, thank you.

I have got a few things to talk about. IPv4 exhaustion is first on the list and first on our minds just to give you an update. You may have heard this before but it's pertinent to the RIPE community at the moment. We went to some effort to define really structured exhaustion management process in the run?up to the end of our IPv4 address pools. Stage one was our normal allocations, in stage two when we had only a certain remaining supply, we went into a modified evaluation process, which went through to just over a year ago, the 15 April when we entered the final /8 policy so in that second stage, we went into a strict serialisation of all of the IPv4 address requests that we were receiving, and so there was a collective evaluation by the Hostmaster team together and a fixed response time?line as well, and the idea was that we were not having any request jumping another one in the queue or having a dispute when the end came of our supply about who came in first and who should have received the allocation and so on.

So, as I say, just over a year ago, and we had, at that time, 180 unfulfilled requests. We had six of those that escalated to some kind of legal or threatened legal process, sort of dispute, I guess, but they were resolved within a matter of weeks, so that was the main fear that we had at that time a year ago, that was we would have a big escalation, somehow, in complaints which the idea was that any such complaints would be handled in a very rationally and easily, and it all went actually very smoothly.
So stage 3, the last /8 stage, started on the is 15th of April and under that policy we have just, I think you know the maximum allocation of /22 per organisation, out of the last block 103 /8, and there is some 16,000 blocks that will be available in that pool.

You can see, you can guess where that spike is, it's just over a year ago where we had nearly 300 resource delegations in that one peak month in April, but 180 of those were the last /8 allocations, as I said, that were the first 180, which weren't fulfilled in terms of their original request, I think all of them did, understandably accept the last /8 allocation as a consolation prize.

So there it is. That is what we are doing now are. Since then the final /8 delegations that we are making started with that large number in April. There was a bit of a tail?off after that and we are down now to a rate of around between 60 and 80 per month.

That should last for quite a few years. The idea being it lasts as long as it needs to through the entire IPv6 transition process.

IPv4 transfers is the other thing. We are getting, after one year of constrained v4 supply, we are getting an increasing number of inquiries about where the next IPv4 address block can come from. The answer is fairly simple: It's either a /22 if you haven't had one already, or it's private addresses or it's transfers and so we have transfers within the APNIC region and we have been doing them since August 2000 ?? since earlier than that, quite some time ago. We changed our transfer policy and as of November 2011 to require demonstrated need on the part of the recipient, except for the routine mergence and acquisitions the process that a recipient goes through is exactly like the traditional IPv4 address request process where they come along and justify the need for the address space that they want but instead of getting it, what they get now is a pre?approval for a transfer to be made whenever it's available. We sort of expected that that pre?approval would be useful to have before, in fact before the address space was necessarily available, and quite the opposite, that if address space becomes available on and the recipient doesn't have theality to transfer it fairly quickly, then that might remove ?? that might have them miss the opportunity for whatever address space it is out there. The pre?approval they get is valid for one year and after that time they simply have to apply again with current data.

We are not completed on this one yet but we are developing a contract ?? a compact or agreement with brokers, saying that we will recognise and list and work with brokers who sign quite explicitly a binding agreement that says that they will comply and support in all respects APNIC address management policies. So, we actually have got plenty of inquiries from brokers who claim to have both sources and destinations of addresses lined. We are quite happy to see that happen. It eases the whole supply and demand process, it's something that APNIC doesn't particularly want to have to do if we don't need to, so as long as the broker is finding a buyer, finding a seller or a source and a destination and the transfer can be done in full compliance with policies, then we are quite happy for that to happen.

Now, on inter?regional transfers, we have got proposal 095, which was implemented in August last year, but it required a counterpart RIR policy to play with and so far, it's a lonely and unused policy waiting for another RIR to have a compatible Inter?RIR transfer policy to interact with and we saw here what was, I believe, a compatible Inter?RIR transfer policy, so if that does come through the right policy process then we'd be able to make use of 95. Likewise, if next week in the ARIN region the inter RIR transfer policy that is being discussed there, if that comes to fruition, that is where I think the general expectation; that is where transfers would potentially be coming from.

That is what our ?? our study rate in dark blue there of the mergence and acquisitions, that is business as usual, it has been going on for a light blue long time, and the light blue is new IPv4 transfers. There was a spike in the middle there up to a massive rate of 20 transfers in one month, just a little bit, about twice our current rate, and that was ?? that coincided with the change in the policy to apply the demonstrated needs, so there was a minor rush there for people to get in on the easiest set of policies but it was only 20 transfers.

Some other activities: We are got something called RQA, Resourse Quality Assurance, which we developed in the run out of IPv4 blocks from IANA as we we were starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel of v4 blocks and I think the one at the very bottom which we did pick up during that process was one /8 so we did a lot of work on working out whether that address space was useable and if so, what parts were and what weren't and the vast majority of it was useable but there were a couple of blocks and a couple of addresses that were attracting gigabits worth of traffic and didn't want to be allocating those out. But that process gave us a whole set of procedures and systems for testing address space in collaboration and cooperation with RIPE NCC actually, and so it's being applied and potentially will go on being applied in the case of transfers and returns in future, because I think the sort of problems that we receive black?listing and so forth are going to be increasing as time goes on.

Whois clean?up: We got rid of 150,000 unreferenced objects and fixed 50,000 errors. We are campaigning to keep the IRT objects up?to?date and referenced, and that is also part of the same, under the same umbrella of resource quality assurance.

Learning and development is a new area at APNIC, it includes our traditional training activities and includes some Internet development project activities and also the developing con suggest area, it's not that we want to go out and become a consulting body but we constantly receive requests from particularly from developing countries in our region to assist members with their network engineering deployment in general, and increasing now, of course, IPv6.

I think you know Phillip Smith, he is ?? he joined APNIC and heads up that area, these days, developing some fantastic stuff. Also, with some nice collaboration with NCC.

Increased focus on IPv6, as I said it's the flavour of the next year or so. We are delivering training on live training sessions across the time zones of the region. We have got this training lab which is under development, it's a whole set of hosts and routers remotely accessible equipped with v6 and V byte ASNs and look likes an ISP but gives trainees hands?on experience with logging into, configuring and setting up and pulling down routers and so on. So training in 2011, there is quite a few numbers there but there is 3,000 participants in training, 780 in the e?learning on?line courses.

APNIC labs is also a new name at least, a new division within APNIC that captures all of the R and D work that is being done by chiefly by Geoff Huston and George Michaelson. Their major activity in the last little while has been prompted by the IPv6 day last year, setting up this Google ad based and website based IPv6 capability measurement and data collection. We are capturing 600,000 measurements plus a day at the moment, and it's a huge stream of data that is coming in and giving Geoff lots of nice fodder for his presentations and so forth, you can see this stuff on labs dot, or Geoff's blog which is called So those are there for your enjoyment.

IPv6 programme, lots and lots of activities under that banner. We are the secretariat for a regional task force on IPv6 deployment by won't go through them but plenty of public events there in which we are circulating and pushing out the IPv6 message, which is these days, you know, when you think Internet, you need to think IPv6. The killer application for IPv6 is here, it is the Internet, stuff like that.

We are also working with governments, regulators, policy makers, etc., in particular on IPv6 and we are working with APT which is the regional body that sends inputs into the ITU, it's the equivalent of ?? bodies that exist in the rest of the world.

APEC TEL is a big one, he will be working on the meeting which is coming up in Russia which is a ministerial meeting later in this year. We have got numerous governmental ?? inter?governmental bodiesees and engagements going on. IGF, it's a priority for awful us, not only the main event IGF 7 last year was ?? IGF last year informs Nairobi but we have got regional events happening in the Asia Pacific both for the AP region and we are giving a fair bit of support to those. I have been appointed to the multi?stakeholder advisory group with Paul Rendek and also Rauol from the RIR community, we are on the technical ?? slate of technical nominations to the IGF and that was confirmed last week.

We have got, as I mentioned, under learning and development, we have got a development programme which is a small grounds programme. Now, again, it's something that is an Inter?RIR collaboration with LACNIC and AfriNIC for a continuation of a regional small grants programme. It's been running as FREDA in LACNIC and ISIF in the APNIC region and a new one which we helped to get established under AfriNIC as well. So that is being supported primarily by IDRC with a grant over a couple of years, three years of 1.3 million dollars. We are also looking for corporate and other sponsors which will go into a small grants pool for small grants into information society development sort of banner. We have got another survey coming up, this is the survey we hold every two years. It's one that is similar to the way it's been done in RIPE NCC, we have been doing it for a little longer, we have held an increased number of focus group sessions around our region and there were 17 separate focus group meetings held by the ?? Nick is giving me the wind up here ?? yes, in short, the survey is underway, we have got on?line survey form coming up, we will be reporting back in August into the next APNIC meeting, and that is all part of our regular planning process.

And finally, everyone is invited to the next two APNIC meetings which are being held in calm bode I can't, this August, and then Singapore with APRICOT next February, March. Thanks to Phillip Smith, we are doing a full week of technical workshops at our August meeting now as well as of course joining the APRICOT week workshops which have been going on for quite some time. Details at that URL. Thank you very much, Nick, and everyone. Thank you.

NICK HYRKA: Any questions for Paul? No questions. Thank you, Paul. Next up we have from the LACNIC region, Carlos Martinez, research and development engineers. Welcome.

CARLOS MARTINEZ: Good morning, everyone. As Paul mentioned, it's hard to start the morning after such a wonderful social event like we held last night at the castle. Thank you for being here, I am a research and development engineer with LACNIC. And I will bring you our update.

So, this is a nice graph about the membership status in our community. We hit 2000 member mark around October 2011, which was kind of symbolic because it happened at the same time of our Buenos Aires conference and it's growing ever since. If you notice this small but growing pink spot on the top of the graph, those are IPv6 only members who are members who are coming back only to request IPv6 space, which is reassuring in some way to see happen.

This is a graph we update every day. It plots the remaining available IPv4 pool in our region. We give this number of individual available IPv4 addresses. You know, we network engineers know that this number is ?? can be deceiving in terms you cannot use all of them, you cannot get 100% efficient use of all the space but people like this number, so we give it to them.

You can check this report, this is a URL. We are now below the 64 million that we somehow, it was like a special ?? we are below it. You can see the big drops there, allocations to the LIR Mexico and Brazil. This is the evolution of allocations, of IPv4 and IPv6. It's nothing particularly interesting yet. You can see perhaps a growing trend in IPv6. ASNs, for some reason that we are not sure what we did right, we have been pretty successful for 4 byte ASNs. As you can see, most of the allocations of AS numbers that we do now are 4 byte. Actually, we have a mechanism through which if your 4 byte ASN doesn't work for you, you can come back and we will change it for a 16?bit one, but it's not happening; I mean, people are able to use them, which is nice.

Resource certification, which is another big project for us. This is two evolution plots, something went wrong this slide ?? a label is missing, so the graph on the left is the number of prefixes contained in the repository and the number on the graph on the right is the IPv4 space covered by ROAs. You can seat big increments, those more or less correspond to the conferences, people get excited about RPKI after the conferences. I am going to speak a little bit about this in my lightening talk after the coffee break. So it's slowly getting there and people are using it. There have been some challenges, but I am confident that these RPKI or resource certification project will take off. Again, the source of these graphs is a report we create every day that you can check out if you want.

Our last event informs Buenos Aires in Argentina, it was a good one, we had 350 participants, six policies were discussed, three of them reached consensus; the other three went back to the mailing list. Basically, the policies who reached consensus, 2011?03 and 04, both of them seek to encourage or promote IPv6 adoption, basically asking people who request additional space to request IPv6 as well, and 2011?06 asks for the reservation of last /12 from our pool for smooth landing basically, smooth landing policy, similar to what Paul and the NCC are implementing. So these policies are now in effect and will be implemented soon.

Our upcoming meetings, we have our big annual conference with a member assembly upcoming in two, three weeks. It will be in he can do, starting on May 6. You are all welcome and invited. We have this ?? informally called the big meeting, we have the general assembly and member assembly, have the policy forum and we also have our security, IPv6, IXP session which is more or less correspond to the Working Groups here in the NCC. After that, we will have our second annual conference in Montevideo, it is timed around the 10th anniversary of LACNIC, which is symbolic also moment, like we have this 20th anniversary of the NCC. I hope we will have a cake, too. And we are ?? you are all, of course, invited and more than welcome to attend. This is our new offices. This new office is opened while I was flying to Ljubljana. Basically, it's not a completely new building; it's an expansion of the previous building and there was a big party, even the president of Uruaguay attended, which was kind of nice. We hope to be able to grow and stuff, but we are also hosting some other organisations in our building. We have the regional office of I so, we are hosting the association of Caribbean networks in Latin America and the association of the ccTLD operators of the region.

This used to be the view from my office, used to be, because it's no longer.

I wanted to comment on a bit of other activities we do. Universe slide for that but I wanted to comment on the IPv6 workshops that we held in the region during 2011. We went to chilly, Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, Argentina, to Surinam in the Caribbean, we have IPv6 workshops, we made people configure IPv6 under machines and went table by table until they were at least able to ping something on IPv6. I think we were quite successful, we got a lot of feedback of people who were interested in repeating those workshops. We are also doing virtual seminars on IPv6 and RPKI, and we are hoping to repeat some of those workshops this year as well.

Well, thank you very much.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Carlos. Any questions? Thank you very much.

Now we move on to the report from the number resource organisation executive council, and welcome back to the stage, the director general from the APNIC, Paul Wilson.

PAUL WILSON: So nice to see you again. I am speaking here in lieu of John Curran, who is the Chair of the NRO EC and would normally be delivering this but as secretary I get the chance. It's really nice to see so many people here, actually. I was not expect it. This is the NRO update presented by me as secretary of the NRO EC. You know all of this, the what and why of the NRO, I think you have heard all of that before. The presentation is on the website, if you wish to have a look or ask some questions later.

The NRO structure: The executive committee, secretariat and coordination groups, I think we have also heard about those. The NRO in 2012 has got the executive committee or EC still comprised of the same set of five of us, as the heads of the five RIRs. The I think that changes each year is the rotation of the office holders. So John is Chair, myself, secretary and Adiele as treasurer this year and as I am secretary APNIC gets the privilege of hosting the secretariat which is a nice bundle of work as we all know, since it's been around a few times. The ASO, it's the address supporting organisation, I think we all know that as well. It's constituted under the, importantly the ICANN by?laws, so the ASO, MoU the agreement between the NRO and ICANN is for to us perform the role of the NRO as defined by the ICANN by?laws. There is the address council with 15 individuals, three from each region and here are the names of the 15 address council members sitting currently.

The NRO is a lightweight sort of organisation, it's not incorporated. We incur expenses, some substantial expenses in NRO activities. We incur those expenses at the individual RIRs and we reconcile everything at the end of the year. The major things we spend money on are the travel support for the address council. The whole range of communications activities including NRO presents and materials that go into events like the IGF ICANN meetings and so forth. And we make this a fixed voluntary contribution to ICANN of 823,000 dollars per year. So the expense distribution formula is worked out every year as a weighted formula of IP resource holdings and the size of the RIR's annual budget so we actually have, as you see on the screen here, a different share, each RIR respectfully has got a different share of the NRO expenses to pay, which I think is only fair. The expense distribution for 2012 is to be determined on the basis of this year's figures. By the end of the year when we have to reconcile all of this stuff for 2012.

ICANN is the ?? one major area of NRO activity, not just in terms of establishing and supporting, creating the ASO within the ICANN structure but also for a whole lot of information and logistical exchange and interaction. We attend, I would say, all of the ICANN meetings, we have got 36 them this year, one of them in San Jose coming up in Prague and the next one after that, we have got regular ASO workshops at the ICANN meetings focusing largely on the usual, v4 exhaustion and v6 transition, but we are having more regular meetings with the ICANN board, with its various committees and so forth, so ICANN is getting more active for us and not less.

One other particular thing recently has been the ASO review process which is something that has been defined as a responsibility of the NRO in the agreement that we have with ICANN, so it was cracked out through an open bidding process to the successful bidder of each international who went through the ASO review process which I am sure you heard about at least at the last couple of meetings but they produced their report. If you haven't seen it it was released on 14th of March with a comment period, which is now closed. The NRO EC is formulating its response to the report itself and to all of the inputs that we heard and that is going to be posted once developed and also available for public comment. So that is something that is nearly coming to a conclusion. There is a little bit of time left if you want to provide any sorts of inputs, probably through your own RIR at this stage.

And of course, the global policy process is part of the ASO and we have got ?? we have had one global policy for the IPv4 distribution from IANA, which is now awaiting ICANN Board ratification and that will allow some of the RIRs who are holding legacy address space, there is into the lot being held by the RIRs at the moment but we have agreed or some of us expected a least to be returning that legacy address space to the IANA so that it can redistribute it under this poll just as soon as that policy is ratified.

The Internet governance forum, a big thing for the NRO of course, the multi?stakeholder advisory group, again NRO has got three reps in the technical slight there and we have got the seventh IGF meeting coming up in November. The deadline for workshop proposals has passed but we will be contributing to these workshops and no doubt individuals from the RIRs will be participating in other workshops and activities that happen within the IGF.

We also had some involvement in a separate UN process which was the Commission for science and technology for development, Cstd Working Group, a couple of technical group appointments came out of the RIR community for that and the report from that Cstd Working Group has been published as well, with some recommendations about improvements to the IGF. We are working with just finally in this area, working with the OECD as well through the Internet technical advisory committee, and there are various forums that are relevant to us there.

A couple of correspondences from the last little while. We have been corresponding with friends of the ITU, writing letters to the Secretary General, firstly nominating some members to the world technology policy forum or telecommunications policy forum expert group which will be sitting next year, that is myself and Cathy Handley from ARIN and we are reaching out to the ITU to try to engage in discussions about capacity building activities on IPv6 in developing countries. Those letters in the documents area.

And finally in some other developments, you probably know the PACG, the public affairs coordination group has been established this year for the NRO to better coordinate amongst ourselves on public affairs issues. That is government and government?related issues. We have done a bit more liaison coordination with what we call the I?STAR group, ICANN and ISOC, IETF. We have got RPKI is one of the major projects that we have got with kind of high level implications in terms of external impacts on the NRO and RIRs, liaise when ICANN in particular or ICANN's role and so on and so forth. And further review of our legacy IPv4 address space which again I think is being prompted by the acceptance of the global policy for IANA to be able to redistribute that stuff if it gets it back.

And that is it. Thank you very much.

NICK HYRKA: Any questions?

Next up, we have got the NRO statistics report and Andrea Cima from the RIPE NCC services, he is the manager there, will give it.

ANDREA CIMA: Good morning everyone. My I am part of the registration services department at the RIPE NCC. And this is the NRO Internet number data's report. This report is compiled by the five RIRs together on a quarterly basis and as you can see, this one is as of 31 March 2012.

Starting with the global IPv4 address space pool, this slide has not been changed since quarter one 2011. As you can see in red, IANA has 0 /8 reversed, 45 /8 are not available for distribution, and those have been reserved by the technical community. We see central registry with 91 /8s and those were in the /8s which have been issued before the existence of the RIRs. And finally, all the RIRs together hold about 130 /8s, with APNIC 45, RIPE NCC 35, LACNIC nine, AfriNIC five and ARIN 36.

Now, how much IPv4 address space does each RIR still hold:

You can see that AfriNIC has about 472 /8s, APNIC, slightly less than a /8, they reached the last /8 policy last year in April. ARIN, about five /8s, LACNIC about 2.7 /8s and RIPE NCC about two?and?a?half /8s.

Now, if we look at the amount of address space issued over the years by the RIRs to their customers. We can see that there is a general growth trend of all the RIRs until about 2007. From 2008 on, we see some differences, slight differences in the trend. Where in the ARIN region the distribution has become slightly less, quite stable in the RIPE region and we can still see, a big growth until last year in APNIC region where in the first four months about six of last year, about six /8s were issued.

If we look at the total amount of IPv4 address space issued by RIRs. RIPE NCC has given out about 33 /8s, APNIC about 44, AfriNIC slightly more than two, LACNIC about 6 .5 and ARIN, almost 28.

Now, moving on to AS number assignments. We can see that until 2004, ARIN was the RIR issuing the highest number of AS numbers. From 2005 on this role has been taken over by the RIPE NCC and last year we made absolute record number of AS number assignments being about 3,000. Now, what is the reason why we make such a high number of AS assignments? It's that we receive also a lot of requests for provider independent address space, so those organisation who is want to be independent request PI address space and an AS number.

If we look at the total number of AS numbers issued by each RIR, we can see that ARIN and RIPE NCC are quite close to each other, warn about 23,000 and RIPE NCC almost 25,000. AfriNIC, about 800, LACNIC 2,600 and APNIC slightly less than 8,000 AS numbers.

Now, if we go a little bit more into detail and look at 4 byte ASN assignments we can see that there is a constant growth in most of the regions. In 2011 we can see a peak in the 4 byte AS numbers issued by APNIC and this was mostly due because they issued about 600 of them to their national Internet registries for distribution. It's also interesting to see that in the RIPE region, the 4 byte ASNs account for about one?third of the total number of ASNs issued. But if we look at 2012 this percentage is quite higher for APNIC and LACNIC as Carlos has showed us before.

The total amount of 4 byte ASNs assigned, RIPE NCC slightly more than 2000, LACNIC about 745, which is quite high considering the number of total ASNs they issue, ARIN 41, AfriNIC 27 and APNIC slightly more than 1,000.

Now, moving on to IPv6 address space, we see the doughnut, the grey on the top left hand, this is all the IPv6 address space. Out of this, a/3 has been reserved for global unicast, the IANA has issued a /12 to each RIR in October 2006 and we can see that there is one /12 considered as miscellaneous and this contains the /23s that the RIRs received from the IANA before October 2006.

Have a look at IPv6 allocations over time. We can see that there is a constant growth in all the regions. It's interesting to see that what Leslie told us before, ARIN saw a spike in the IPv6 allocation request in the first quarter of 2011. We, at the RIPE NCC, saw exactly the same spike, meaning that when the IANA depleted its IPv4 address pool, many organisations started requesting for short period of time additional IPv6 address space.

If we look at the total amount of IPv6 allocations made by the RIRs to their customers, we can see that the RIPE NCC has issued about 4,000 of them, AfriNIC, 230, LACNIC almost 1,000, APNIC about 1,600 and ARIN about 1,700.

If we look at IPv6 assignments that RIRs have made directly to end users. Also here, we can see that there is a growth trend, even though the absolute numbers are still quite low, and it's in the RIPE region still too early to see if the policy change of removing the, having to be multi?homed in order to be able to receive an IPv6 assignment, it's too early to see if this policy change has an impact on the number of assignments made.

Finally, this is quite interest in my opinion, this is the percentage of members of each RIR that have both IPv6 and IPv4 address space. And you can see that there is not a single RIR whose members that has members more than 50% have IPv6 and IPv4, so we see that APNIC has members of 45 percent of APNIC's members have both IPv4 and IPv6, about 30 percent of AfriNIC members, 37 percent in the ARIN region, as Leslie has shown us a few moments ago. And this is 42% in the LACNIC region and slightly less than 50 percent in RIPE NCC service region.

Do you have any questions?

NICK HYRKA: Any questions? No. Thank you.

And next up we have got the IANA update and this is going to be presented by Filiz Yilmaz, she is the senior director of participation and engagement at ICANN.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Thank you, Nick. Good morning. This update, IANA update is often given by my colleagues Leo and Elise but they couldn't be here so, on behalf of them I will give the update.

So this is a short overview what I will be talking about is basically telling you about the latest developments and improvements that IANA is very keen on working on their processes. There is one new service added to the IANA department, and I will conclude with some numbers at the end.

For making things better, we have been talking about this in the previous updates as well. There is a business excellence programme, IANA department has been implementing on themselves for the last three years. It is based on a model and there is assessment programme, again some criteria, you look at your processes and your internal data, how you store them and how you interact with your customers is a good business and then, against the criteria, you map yourself and each time after the assessment you come up with some improvement ideas. So the third annual assessment was held in January 2012, and the result showed that the previous works, so all ?? so far, all the three years, happened to be effective and the results were significantly better, compared to the previous ones, but this is an incremental system so there is more work, they will continue on working on this and there is, you know, planned execution throughout 2012, too.

One part of the system is basically coming up with standard process documentation. For any reliable business, as you can imagine, the processes are important where you give a service and there is a recipient of the service on the other hand, the customers. And those processes are to be outlined both as a description and coming up with some diagrams, so these processes, the documentation part of it is also significant, not only in your self?assessment and when you move from one staff to another, it's everything is there but also for new eyes when there is an audit over the processes, it's important to have these in place, so this work has been going on and there is more to do.

The other integral bit of the system was improving the request processes. We have talked about this in the past, too; there are requests form that IANA staff gets into interaction with the customers, for example the IPv4 multicast address forms, same for the IPv6. And it's very important to get the right information to be able to give the right service, so there is reduced frustration and there is reduced iteration on both sides.

IANA and ICANN is practicing security measures within the organisation, various of them, and there was the fourth annual security plan was completed in November 2011 and the continuity exercise for IANA, the second one, is planned for 2012; this mainly consists of making sure that processes and services will continue, if there has to be a disaster, even natural disaster, and there is contingency there.

One extra that came out from all this work so far, Leo Vegoda opened survey on Monday 16th of April is the target group is RIR staff plus ccTLD staff, so you may want to go and fill in the survey. I had a look and it's very short, it's not going to take more than a couple of minutes and it's ?? we will appreciate your feedback, even further improvements in our services.

Now, some further operations to mention. I would like to talk about the DNSSEC key signing key ceremonies. Now, the good thing or the news about this is, now, after almost two years, that the route was signed, there is no news, which is good news. The 7th and 8th of ceremonies were conducted again, nothing particular came up. They all went to plan. These ?? there is, you know, set up procedures very well planned and they are being applied. There are the community members, trust community members who come and witness the ceremonies as well, everything is in place. It's all transparent, which is important. The full transcripts of these and the logs are published on So this is going on according to business as usual.

One thing to mention regarding DNSSEC, obviously this being quite a critical service, we are keen on making sure that everything is going on well and it is also reviewed and audited and looked after by a third eye. So, what happened there: We have been audited by a third party and this is a second year in a row we received the SysTrust certification so our services are signed to be fully satisfactory from the DNSSEC side of processes.

There is one new service that has been put on IANA department's plate recently. This is a time zone database. It is this database that is being used by most operating systems, where they need a conversion between time zones and this database a had been maintained for the case by volunteers now, and IANA was informed when the previous original maintainer of the database mentioned intention to retire and finding a new home for the database and that is now done by IANA, and there is an RFC and it's fully ?? all the procedures followed according to that RFC, too.

Just few numbers. Like my colleagues, I wanted to show you, one first is with the DNSSEC. The take?up is still continuing, and what you see in this slide, the green ones are the ccTLDs that are being signed and all the DNSSEC resource records are also put on the root zone file. The orange ones, I don't know if you can see them but there are some orange ones. Those are signed but the DNSSEC resource records are not there in the zone, they are not put there yet, and the grey ones obviously, they are not there, they are not doing DNSSEC.

At the beginning of the meeting this week, Jan said that this will be a meeting of IPv6 and I think we also got overexcited about that and we wanted to provide you some stats, but I don't know how exciting this is. This may need IPv6 web stats from ICANN web properties, and you can see that orange bit, which is really small, is the IPv6 part and it is not different for the IANA website, either; it's very similar. And this contains the entire 2011 numbers. What might be a little interesting is this draft ?? graph, and I was looking at it. At the beginning of around March in 2011, there was this spike in the traffic and then it kind of got flat by May again. We don't know why this happened, but it just happened.

Now, there is more stats, actually; we have a colleague who is working on a lot of data that we are aware of or that is residing within ICANN databases or IANA resources, and we are publishing them at the and this is kind of newish, so if you are interested have a look and let us know what you think, because sometimes you know what you have, but you don't know what may be useful for others, so we are open for ideas in that area, too.

And that will conclude my update.

NICK HYRKA: Well done. Any questions? Do you have a question?

FILIZ YILMAZ: Sebastian asked me, we have an ICANN board member here and he wanted to to pass the message as ICANN board they are congratulating RIPE NCC for the 20th year.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you very much.

Before you go, I started the session with a mention of the RIPE Programme Committee elections and since you are part of the programme committee, I want to remind you we have these forms you can fill out to elect a candidate. They are posted also on?line. You can't vote on?line but the candidates are posted on?line for you to review. You can take these, fill it out and deposit them in the boxes in the back of the room.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Actually, Brian will run that process.

NICK HYRKA: The other thing is we are going to follow this part of the morning session now with lightning talks ??

BRIAN NISBET: No. We are going to follow this part of the morning session with the Programme Committee election. Last night was a long night, I know. So, good morning. The part between now and the coffee break will be the Programme Committee election. This was the first year post the demass era and I think we will be talking about this later I think the Programme Committee in general are very happy with how things have gone and we are also very happy that eight people have put themselves forward for the Programme Committee. That is fantastic number of people and we are very happy there is such enthusiasm and interest in the RIPE Programme Committee.

So how are things going to go right now I am sure you are desperately eager to know. As an Irish person I have a lot of interest in elections and voting and things like that. We are doing things very, very simply this morning. We have eight candidates, those 8 candidates will get somewhere between 90 seconds and two minutes to briefly introduce themselves to you over the next few minutes. You have a form, you have one vote, and we are very simply working on a majority system. The person who firstly gets the most votes, wins. There is no complicated revoting, we are not going to keep you in here all night like the general meeting used to do and it is that straightforward. We are going to go through the candidates in alphabetical order. I didn't realise some of them aren't here this morning. In one case, there is a statement being read and in another case I think we will just, you know, save some time. But everyone gets to ?? everyone on the sheet is there and you can vote for them all. We will then count the votes during the coffee break and give you a result in the next session during which there will be the four lightening talks that Nick mentioned.

There will be people picking up the votes, if you haven't voted already, you can also, so we will go through that once the presentations are over and then if you, for some strange reason, haven't voted at that point in time, just please, at the end of the session just make sure you have handed in your vote.

So, you don't want to hear me talk any more so we shall let the candidates talk. So Pascal, you are first.

Pascal Gloor: I like to move around. Thank you very much for letting me express my opinion on that. Well first of all, it's always difficult to be the first to talk because the others can just pick your ideas and make them better.

Some I am not going to restate what has been published on the website. You can check that by yourself. I am new, I have been flagged with a green dot and I intend to bring new blood to these Programme Committee.

Once upon a time, the Internet was a toy and nobody really cared about it; we had really fun with it. But, today, it has become a critical tool of our society for business, helping people to free their country and so on. And this is establish ago new role of the Internet. I think it's our role to protect this essential way of communication and to ensure its sustainability over time. So I am willing to bring fresh blood on new topics to the meetings, such as, just an example, the impact on network operation and service DNS local intercept, court orders or national regulation, especially for international carriers, these can be a real nightmare.
So thank you very much for letting me express. That was all I had to say. Thank you.
(Applause )

BRIAN NISBET: Those of you who are remotely participating, it's just the in the room who get to vote, we are looking at possibly extending that in future meetings, it's just people in the room that can physically vote and be present. Lu Heng please. Strictly alphabetical order.

HENG LU: I come to join RIPE since 2010 and we have been selling the European infrastructure to Chinese companies. I am pretty young here, well at very early stages, I am still learning from everybody I met, but I attend every RIPE meeting ever since my company joined the RIPE. So, you know, I have got lot of spare time to do few things and I want to do something for RIPE, for the community. And as in Netherlands ?? operation was in China so it means most what I am doing here is help connected from China to Europe, so I like to bring some new ideas to the community which helps both regions get to know each other better, I know many people here are doing the same thing but I like to help in ways that from view of small multi?national company and that is all I have to say. Thank you.

BRIAN NISBET: Thank you. I thought wearing RIPE T?shirt would be enough to show my devotion this morning but Athina had other ideas last night, it's amazingly difficult to fight off a tiny Greek woman, it's a surreal situation. Elisa, are you here.

BRIAN NISBET: The rest of you if you want to come closer to the front of the room.

Elisa Titova: I just walked through the door, I think I made it right on time, right. So, you saw the voting sheet. I am nominated for the Programme Committee. I think I could bring in some nice selections of content here and I am looking forward to doing that. We have got to deep short right, please vote for me, thank you.

BRIAN NISBET: Very short. Excellent. We appreciate brevity, we have long conference calls. Dimitry? He isn't here. Unfortunately, he doesn't get the opportunity to speak. I think George Michaelson ?? ah, right, I thought you'd gone.

GEORGE MICHAELSON: I think you all know me so I don't think I have to do anything on hustlings other than to say you have got a great selection of candidates and I am sure you will pick someone suitable.


SPEAKER: Thank you, although I have been told by Brian I have only 30 seconds because of laughing at his tattoo, I already used 15 of them. Hello, my name is Ghert Serskey, some of you probably recognise me from previous, being a candidate in previous elections, I decided to take the second chance. I am ashamed about being, among the others who are more noble than me, including Jan Ella and Andrei, of course. So if you decide to vote for me, I promise I will be somehow a person who introduces a new blood and new ideas from my part of the Europe, although I have found that Andrei, Ella and of course Jan is also from the same part of Europe and you will probably have a better choice than me. Still, thanks for considering me as a and date.

BRIAN NISBET: Thank you. Everyone is keeping to time, I like this. That is good trait.

Andrei: I am not ?? I am here for you to get the impression now nice guy Andrei is, same height and slim body and same amount of hair, he is as beautiful as me, as I am. So he is working at CZnic, a lovely company which is dedicated to the RIPE ideas, we hosted RIPE meetings, some of you remember the tasty beer in Prague and he is working for research department, he is head of that department so we are trying to work on open source things and other stuff you may know and prying to present at RIPE meeting. One thing,'s very trustee person and regular key shareholder, if you are using DNSSEC you have to trust him anyway. If you want to gate guy with good technical background and a lot of experience in international meetings, I think Andrei is the right guy for you. Thank you very much.

BRIAN NISBET: Thank you.

BRIAN NISBET: And finally, by strictly alphabetical order, Jan.

JAN ZORZ: Good morning. I hope you enjoyed this meeting so far. I was a local host here, together with TFLA and I was also part of Programme Committee for this meeting. I enjoyed it very much. We brought in some new blood like Ivan and others and I have been asked to try to work further with them, so I applied for this Programme Committee. Thank you.

BRIAN NISBET: So, that was all very, very quick, excellent. If you haven't got a sheet, you can pick one up from here, Serge has them, Fergal has them, please do grab a voting sheet. We will be make ago final collection of them in about five minutes time, we are going to try and count them during the coffee break, and then we will be coming back here for some lightning talks after the coffee breaks. Thank you all very much and please vote early, vote often. Thanks very much, go, vote, have coffee and we will you back here in 35 minutes. Thank you very much.

(So the votes will be counted between ?? the current Programme Committee observing and the NCC staff will be counting the votes. Well, sorry, if you hand your votes to Fergal or Serge or indeed you can give them to me.

(Coffee break)